Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sharing...

Lately I have been teaching Sunday school classes out of the book of Acts. I really enjoy that book as in it is the records of how the church began. I think it is important to study it carefully and learn from it so that we too can be part of a church that is pleasing to God and following the plan He set up.
Today our lesson was from Acts 2:42 -47, it says:
"And they were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching
and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
And everyone kept feeling a sense of awe;
and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.
And all those who had believed were together,
and had all things in common; and they began selling their property
and possessions, and were sharing them with all,
as anyone might have need.
And day by day continuing with one mind in the temple,
and breaking bread from house to house,
they were taking their meals together with gladness
and sincerity of heart, praising God,
and having favor with all the people.
And the Lord was add to their number day by day
those who were being saved."

What really stood out to me this time when I was reading this (I think it is neat how different parts will really stand out every time I study) was: "And where sharing them with all, as anyone might have need." Now I know that we are in a different situation right now and we are not necessarily called upon to sell everything we have and split it up among all other Christians but I do know that God has blessed us very much and I want to learn from the early Christians something about sharing.

We have way more then we need and though we do try to share with others when we see a need, it is my goal to be looking more for ways I can help. Many times I am not able to help by giving money, but I can often help by a gift of food, or clothing, or friendship, or time. I want to be more alert to the needs around me.

Here are some more verses that inspire me in this area......

2 Corinthians 8:1-5
Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the grace of God which has been given
in the churches of Macedonia, that in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy
and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality.
For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability they gave of their
own accord, begging us with much entreaty for the favor of participation in the
support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave
themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God."

2 Corinthians 9:6 & 7
"Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly;
and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully.
Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart;
not grudgingly or under compulsion;
for God loves a cheerful giver."

I want to be a cheerful giver!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin