Saturday, October 23, 2010

Let's make some pretzels!

Yesterday we tried a baking project that we had never done before: Pretzels! It was fun and yummy!

 I thought I would share the recipe with you in case you would like to try them too. They are not hard to make, they are a fun project for the kids to help with and also they are a nice snack that isn't sweet.
Here is the recipe:
  • 1 T. dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 4 c. flour (I used 3 cups wholewheat and 1 cup white flour)
  • Salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
Mix together 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add in water and mix well. Mix in the rest of the flour. Knead dough until smooth adding more flour if needed.

Divide into 18 pieces (have your little ones practice their counting while they help.)


 Roll each piece into a rope around 15 inches long.

  Follow these pictures to shape them in the typical pretzel shape.



 Place on a lightly greased (or use a silicone mat like I do) baking sheet.
 Brush with a beaten egg and then sprinkle with salt.
Bake immediately (no rising) at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Enjoy! (And feel free to get creative with your shaping - we did!)

8 comments:

Nola said...

OOO neat I will have to try this. A few months ago we tried bagels and loved those, so will have to try this too. Now we make bagels all the time, its easier than I thought.

Abbi said...

I need to try bagels again. The only time I tried it was quite a number of years ago and it was a flop but I think I may have messed up the order of the steps (The boiling in water part). I want to try it again.

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this! What temp. do you bake the pretzels at and for how long? Thank you for sharing. I just found your website a few days ago and I am excited about what God could teach me through you!

Beth said...

These look so good, I'm going to have to try to do this when my family comes into town. Thanks for stopping by Sand To Pearl

Abbi said...

Anonymous- I am sorry I forgot to put the temp in the post (I will correct that). Bake them immediately (no rising) at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

I hope you enjoy them!

Savvy Couponer said...

Guess what we are making today!! Pretzels.. how fun!! I love your blog posts!

Anna said...

I boil my pretzels before baking. That is what makes them different from other rolls, I thought. Do yours taste like standard pretzels? Skipping that process would make it go a lot easier! We do love our pretzels. I should make them one of these next days.

Abbi said...

Anna, I don't know if they taste like normal pretzels or not as I don't remember ever having soft ones before. Sorry!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin