Friday, September 30, 2011

A skirt from a shirt

 I finally got to do a little sewing this week though I had to get up at 6 am in order to fit it in. (I prefer usually to sleep a bit later than that!) The sewing I did was for Mara for her 12th birthday which was yesterday. I made a skirt, a doll dress and I also made a little barrette for her hair.

Sometime or another the shirt below had been given to us. I believe it was with some other fabric and when I saw it I knew that it wouldn't work for us as it was but that I would like to use the fabric in it. So I finally got around to doing that.
 If you look closely at the picture above you can see that I took the picture after I had already cut it. I decided to use the bodice part of the shirt as a skirt. The fabric however was quite thin and also it wasn't long enough so I lined it with another fabric and had a ruffle stick out from the bottom.

I was trying to decided what to do with the sleeves as they were quite pretty too. I decided to make a simple doll dress for Mara's 18" doll with them. I made it like a sundress and then I did make a simple raglan sleeve dress out of the ruffle fabric that I had used on the skirt to go under the sun dress.
Please pretend you didn't notice that I should have ironed too!
After I finished those two projects I still had a couple of tiny scraps of the blue scalloped edges. I glued one into a circle onto a barrette and then glued a light blue button on the middle. It was an easy and fun way to make a coordinating barrette.

Mara was pleased with them and I had fun and it didn't cost me anything. That makes a fun project for me!

I am linking this up with:
www.blessingsoverflowing.com/fix-it-up-friday-guidelines
and Frugal Friday at Life as Mom.

3 comments:

More than Survival said...

VERY Cool!!!!!!!! And Happy Birthday to your daughter!!

Jackie said...

The skirt and dress look great! I love the blue flowers and the fact that you made them from a shirt. Thanks so much for linking up!

Abbi said...

Thank you ladies! I did have fun making it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin