Sunday, July 26, 2015

Why I Believe it is Wrong for Me to Drink Alcohol

This post is about why I believe it is wrong for me to drink alcohol. Notice I did say "for me". I don't think this is a truly black and white, wrong or right issue in the Bible but because of various verses on this subject in the Bible and various other biblical principles I am convicted personally that it is wrong for me to drink alcohol. Not knowing what my various readers believe on this subject this is just to challenge you to look deeper into what the Bible says.

Here are some various verses that do speak of alcohol....

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit," Ephesians 5:18

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise." Proverbs 20:1

"Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
    Who has strife? Who has complaining?
Who has wounds without cause?
    Who has redness of eyes?
30 Those who tarry long over wine;
    those who go to try mixed wine.
31 Do not look at wine when it is red,
    when it sparkles in the cup
    and goes down smoothly.
32 In the end it bites like a serpent
    and stings like an adder.
33 Your eyes will see strange things,
    and your heart utter perverse things.
34 You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
    like one who lies on the top of a mast.
35 “They struck me,” you will say, “but I was not hurt;
    they beat me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake?
    must have another drink.” Proverbs 23:29-35


"It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble." Romans 14:21
This the main verse that decides things for me. I don't know of anyone that would stumble spiritually from my eating meat (and I don't eat meat sacrificed to idols which was one of the challenges to the people this was written too - that isn't really an option around here) but there are people all about me that could stumble from my example of drinking alcohol (if I did). I have sat in a couple of court sessions in our time (seeking to give support to a young lady I was reaching out to) and I found it very interesting that nearly all of these little cases that I heard involved alcohol. There are so many (maybe around here especially - I don't know) whose lives have been ruined partly because of their use of alcohol. I don't want to ever through my actions encourage them in something that may wreck their life.

"Woe to those who rise early in the morning, that they may run after strong drink, who tarry late into the evening as wine inflames them!" Isaiah 5:11

"Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain." 1 Timothy 3:8

"(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)" 1 Timothy 5:23
I didn't want to skip this one because it is one that many people like to use. Again, I don't think that drinking alcohol is forbidden I just think it is very unwise and I am convicted for me it would be wrong. To use medicine with some alcohol in it however I don't have a conviction against.

The Bible is quite clear in the message that we are not to be drunkards...

"Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." Galatians 5:21

"Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:10

"Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags." Proverbs 23:20-21

 The Bible does have more verses than these on this topic but I think these will do for now. I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

2 comments:

Amy and Mark said...

This post hits home this week.

My 10 year class reunion is to be this Saturday and Mark and I will not be attending. The ticket price covered dinner and drink(s). I contacted our class officers about buying a ticket without buying an alcohol ticket and the venue will not allow it. Thus, we will not be going. I not only refrain from drinking alcohol, for the same reasons as you, but also try very hard not to give my money to places that sell alcohol - bars, clubs, and wineries are examples. Now I am seeing many from my class headed home to the reunion and am a bit sad not to attend however I am hoping the class officers will meet my request for the 15 year reunion and have it be alcohol free. I also feel it will be safer for all involved to not have drinks and then drive home.

Again, thank you for sharing today!

Abbi said...

Amy, Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am so glad to hear of others - like you- that feel strongly about this as well.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin