Sunday, June 26, 2016

Daily Bible Reading Challenge

Happy Summer to you all! Officially it has just started but it certainly feels like it is in full swing. :-)
Company, baseball, canoeing, traveling, gardening and much more are part of summer for us. We are so very blessed to have so many fun opportunities of things to do but it is important to watch that we don't get to busy for the important things like prayer, Bible study, church and family relationships. Have you been finding time for God's word lately? What blessings have you been finding in it?

Here are some of the treasures that I found in God's word this past week:

What caused me to worship God more?
"Now Jabez called o the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!" And God granted him what he requested." 1 Chronicles 4:10

This very honestly sounds like a very human prayer - which it was. It is the prayer of an imperfect person, just like me, Jabez. To be honest I think he sounds a little self-centered just like I can easily be. But no matter what his character I think it is pretty cool to look at God's character here and it is one of wanting to bless his children. He granted him his request. That causes me to worship God more.

What scripture touched me?
"Now three of the thirty chief men went down to the rock to David, into the cave of Adullam, while the army of the Philistines was camping in the valley of Rephaim. David was then in the stronghold, while the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem. David had a craving and said, "oh that someone would give me water to drink from the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!" So the three broke through the camp of the Philistines and drew water from the well of Bethlehem which was by the gate, and took it and brought it to David; nevertheless David would not drink it, but poured it out to the Lord; and he said, "Be it far from me before me God that I should do this. Shall I drink the blood of these men who went at the rick of their lives? For at the risk of their lives they brought it." Therefore he would not drink it. These things the three mighty men did." 
1 Chron. 11:15-19

This story touches me every time that I read it. The respect and courage that I see in the three mighty men is so cool! Then the respect that David had for them which caused him to in turn worship God is very cool too. Men of courage and character who love God with their whole heart are something special.

What prompts me to action?
"Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; Speak of all His wonders. Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of these who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually. 
Sing to the Lord, all the earth; Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day. Tell of His glory among the nations, His wonderful deeds among all the peoples. For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; He also is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are idols, But the Lord made the heavens. " 1 Chronicles 16:8-11, 23-26

This is a great call to action. It reminds us to Thank God, Tell others about Him, Sing Praises to Him, Be glad, Ask God for Strength, Seek God always and fear Him. These are things that I am working on. He is completely worthy of our praise!

What interesting fact did I find?
"Jesse fathered Eliab his firstborn, Abinadab the second, Shimea the third, Nethanel the fourth, Raddai the fifth, Ozem the sixth, David the seventh. And their sisters were Zeruiah and Abigail." 
1 Chronicles 2:13-16
"These are the sons of David who were born to him in Hebron: the firstborn, Amnon, by Ahinoam the Jezreelite; the second, Daniel, by Abigail the Carmelite," 1 Chronicles 3:1

This is a silly fact but one I tend to notice since my name is Abbigail. I find it interesting that David had both a sister and a wife named Abigail. Did you know that before? :-)

What treasures did you find in God's Word lately?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin