Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Learning to Listen More - something needed in this world right now

  My heart is aching so bad as I see the grief, anger, loss and frustration in our country right now. I know that there is nothing that I alone can do to fix it but I do know Someone who can. If each of us would just work each day to be a little more like Jesus, love a little more like He did, and encourage others to do that too our world would be a better place for everyone.

   As a "white" person I have naturally cannot really understand what life is like for a person of color. I can go off of what I see but since I am not with them day in and day out that would not be the whole picture. So, I was reminded that one of the best things to do is simply to listen. Hear their story and try to understand. It is something I have tried to do but it is something that I want to still get much better at.

   One way that we can listen is to read books. As a teen I read the book "Black Like Me" which though written by a "White" man, he made himself "Black" for a while and then learned from experience what it was like to walk around as a black man. I found it quite moving and eye-opening. 

 I would also suggest reading aloud some books on this subject with your kids and discussing them, or encourage them to read them.
 One book that Megan and I each read this year is "Warriors Don't Cry" a very moving true story about school integration in Little Rock. I would not encourage this one for small children. 

The book series that I am currently reading aloud to the kids (interestingly we had started it before all of the current explosive events) is one by Mildren D. Taylor and the books are titled: "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", "Let the Circle Be Unbroken" and "The Road to Memphis". These books are historical fiction.

All of those books are based on history that was in the mid 1900's. So I had always hoped that things were far different now - and in some ways and places they truly are. But after hearing from friends in Colored families currently I realize that there is still a lot more of the hard stuff going on then we would like to think.


 Another book that I recommend for reading is "Same Kind of Different As Me". It has also been made into a movie but I haven't seen it. This one is more current and still quite disturbing but also wonderful as you see how God can change lives.

   
Something that I plan to continue to do is to befriend any that come across my path - no matter their color - but I do also want to listen a little better, ask a few more questions and try to better understand what life is like for others. And truly this listening should not just be reserved for people that look differently from me. Everybody has a story. Everybody has been through hard things that affect their current life. All need God's love.

So now, I think I had better be quiet and do some listening...

But quickly,  since we were on the topic of people of different colors, I couldn't resist sharing some pictures we recently took when we were able to see my sister Anna's family...
Aren't these two adorable in pink!?
You should see this guy (who is not yet 3!) ride a bike. He is fast and can ride for miles.

   May God Bless You All! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin