Thursday, April 21, 2022

Homeschool Co-op Day

Last week Megan and I went to our Homeschool Co-op. It is a once a month thing but I have only made it to 2 or 3 this year as I usually work on Thursday mornings. Megan has been able to go with my sister Keren who lives nears us and has kids old enough for co-op this year.

The activity of the day was making fun foods. I was in charge of having the kids make fruit bouquets. They aren't quite professional quality yet but they were fun to do and the kids seem to enjoy eating them as well.
Some of the kids with Sara teaching made these cute little chicks.
Emily and a group of young ones made veggie insects.

Keren led this under the sea sort of dessert.

MollyBea helped some of them make little sweet sheep.
Tara made resurrection rolls with her group. This is a really fun idea. I guess the had a marshmallow that represented Jesus. They rolled it in spices and place it in some dough (the tomb) and placed it in the oven. When it baked the dough tomb popped open on its own. The Marshmallow was supposed to be completely gone but that didn't quite happen. Still it is pretty fun.

Katy led a group in making some cute decorated rice crispy bars. Altogether it was a fun morning.

Megan is always a good helped.
Eden was in our group and was a great flower fruit maker. Tavi came to join him and help out when his group had finished their project.

More helpers that came after they had already worked in their original group.

   This time of going to co-op was pretty bittersweet. It was probably my last time. Oh, I probably will visit again sometime but after 11 years of leading the group and this year of being somewhat involved I am moving on. Aaron graduates this year and Megan will be a Junior in highschool next year and will probably be doing early college (PSEO for Minnesotans) next year and is ready to be done with co-op now anyway and I am working. It is time to move on. But I will admit I have shed some tears. 

   In our homeschool co-op I have had the opportunity to learn a lot, to work with, encourage and be encouraged by some pretty wonderful people. Some great friendships have been formed and I have been very blessed. Thankfully I don't have to be in co-op to be friends and I have other opportunities to teach children. 

  Thinking about homeschool co-op prompted me to look through old pictures. Here are some that brought back some good memories of homeschool co-op...
Aaron as Lief Erickson (Or was it Eric the Red???)
Jonathan as Abraham Lincoln
Megan as Laura Ingalls.
Another year... Mara was a suffragete, Jonathan was Wilbur or Orville Wright and Megan was a nurse in WW1.


Learning about the Scandinavian roots of many Minnesotans was super fun one year.


We quilted together!
We put on a big drama. So many fun things!!!
I wanted to share a bunch more pictures but realized that I have blogged about a lot of the events in the past so if you would like to see more about our homeschool co-op years you can look through this group of posts.

I would love to hear if you have been involved in homeschool co-op and your thoughts on it.




   
 

2 comments:

Amy Riley said...

What a timely share this week. Despite having homeschooled since 2013, this was our first school year in a big co-op. We originally met with two other families, every other Friday, for lessons in each other's homes. When that group wanted to go separate school ways (still wonderful friends) my children and I joined a larger, 20 family co-op at a nearby church this year. What a JOY it has been to collaborate with fellow homeschool families. Our spring review (songs and plays was last night) and I just felt so much love and joy from sharing time with these families. I think when the Lord is really working in the hearts and minds of a group it can be such a wonderful addition to what's happening in our homes.

Miranda Matteson (work) said...

These are fun memories and pictures. Praying for your heart as you transition in many areas of your life right now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin