Saturday, July 2, 2022

So Thankful for Family!

Last weekend we went to a family reunion. Well to explain more accurately it is the Reunion of 3 families. 3 families that 70 some years ago met because of their mutual love of Jesus. They were all involved in sharing the gospel in a small town of Tilden, Nebraska and beyond. My grandparents lived there and the other 2 families came and went as the Dads preached in different churches. But these families liked to gather together every 4th of July and some very strong friendships were formed. And so we still like to meet together every 3 years (and many of us see each other and talk to each other much more often if we can). Our gatherings are filled with lots of visiting and laughter and tons of singing. Singing songs of praise to Jesus has tied our families together for several generations now and it continues to do so.

   The 3 pictures above are the oldest surviving children from the 3 families. My mom is on the right. She is number 4 in her family but the 3 oldest have gone to be with Jesus - 2 of them in the past year. Barbara and Lois are the other two in the picture and though they aren't truly my Aunts - they certainly seem like Aunts to me. I am blessed to not only have a large collection of biological aunts and uncles but also so many more that I also share a strong bond with.

Tom, Lois' brother who is my Mom's age joined in on this picture. It was fun to get to see Tom and make music together. We had enjoyed doing that a lot when I was in college in Southern Iowa and went to church where he also attended on Sunday nights.
On Saturday we enjoyed family olympics (though we did not divide up into family groups to play) led by my sister Anna. Our team (pictured above though missing my 4 year old nephew Mathias who was a part of our team too) ended up winning which was pretty fun.
We had to do various relay races, taking shirts that were frozen into solid chunks of ice and beat and pull them apart until somebody could get it on and other fun activities.
A contestant from each team also had to stuff their mouth with marshmallows and then sing the National Anthem.
It was rather entertaining.
He is the 4th generation (that made it to the reunion) from our family. Only Jonathan of my kids was able to make it this year but I did have quite a few nieces and nephews there.


Speaking of Nieces and Nephews - I had a fun time with these munchkins. I had sore muscles on Sunday after playing follow the leader going up and down stairs I have no idea how many times on Saturday night. 
Friday afternoon we had a tea party for the Ladies and girls. We were encouraged to bring a hat and a tea cup. Lois brought along a whole collection of old hats for anybody to use. So everybody was well outfitted.
June is the only surviving person from the first Generation. It was neat to see her again. When I got to visit with her she told me that she prays for me every night. I am so incredibly blessed to have so many in my life who care about me and know that God has the answer and the help for all of our problems. 
Vicky and Aunt Ellen along with Nancy have been organizing these reunions for quite a while now. They have done a great job and I am super thankful for them! They are retiring from it now so we in the 3rd generation are going to attempt to do it now.
There are some pretty tall guys at the reunion. This group is Jonathan (around 6'5") and Bobby and Harrison (who are around 6'6").

I didn't take many pictures there so this is a pretty incomplete snapshot of the reunion but it is at least a bit of it.

   Highlights for me were.....

-Dad and I leading a nature walk with a huge group good naturedly following along. Getting to visit a bit with Lois as we walked.

-Some times of real sharing and good conversations with several of my cousins. 

-Getting our NYR menu figured out with Sarah while we were there. We are taking the youth to a big youth rally out in Colorado in a few weeks and we need to feed them while we are there.

-Singing around the campfire.

-Singing and playing the Violin at the Hymn sing on Friday night. It was so fun to play the violin along with Suzanne (also on the Violin) and John (on the piano). It was also fun getting to play "Hold the Fort" on the piano from ear/memory for the group to sing as there wasn't any music and John didn't know it.

-Having some real bonding time with Theo and Netta.

-Traveling with my parents and Jonathan and getting to visit a bunch.

  Are you blessed with a supportive family who loves the Lord and encourages you in your walk? Even if you aren't - it can begin with you and your family and you can do like these 3 families did and become like family with others that also love the Lord. The family of God is pretty awesome!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your explanation of these families. My family attended the 4th of July celebration in Tilden a few times.

Abbi said...

That is really neat. Thanks for commenting.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin