Saturday, September 8, 2007

Super Simple Homemade Yogurt

Our family enjoys eating yogurt often. It is good for you, we like it and it doesn't cost very much because we make it ourselves. The way we make it is very simple and so I thought I would share it with you.

I use a 2 quart thermos (pictured) which I fill with hot tap water to heat it up while I stir up the other stuff. In a bowl I mix 4 cups of dry milk*, 7 1/2 cups of water (around 110 degrees, I just go by feel which is hotter than lukewarm but not so hot that it would kill the start, I use tap water) and 1/3 cup of start (yogurt with active culture).Stir the water, dry milk and starter together and then empty the thermos and put the mixture in the thermos. Put the lid on and let it sit undisturbed at room temperature for 6-8 hours. Then place in the fridge and let sit over night. The next morning it is ready to eat. We mix berries and sweetener in and eat it like that or we use it in smoothies.

*Yogurt is also very easy to make using whole milk. Simply heat your milk to 108-112 degrees (Watch it carefully but if it overheats simply cool it down to the correct temperature) and stir the starter into that (Whole milk is used in place of dry milk and water). Otherwise do it the same as I told above.

Happy yogurt making!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an adourable helper you have!!
The only problem I have with this recipe is the texture. I can hardly gag drymilk yogurt down. I am planning to start trying to make it with whole milk. - Martha

Abbi said...

This yogurt does seem to have a slightly different texture but my family doesn't mind it and most people that I have served it to seem to really enjoy it.

Paul & Angela Jenkins said...

Came to your blog through Amy Eckert's. What a great idea. I've never heard of homemade yogurt but plan to try it now since my kids LOVE it and eat me out of house and home. Keep sharing recipes please.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin