Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Baking experiment

Yesterday I was making bread and started thinking about Balinas. Balinas are prunes wrapped in bread dough and then deep fried and then rolled in sugar. They are something that my mom sometimes made growing up which I believe she learned from her Grandmother, I think they are from Germany but am not sure. I like them and hadn't made them for a while.

However I didn't feel like deep fat frying anything, partly because of the mess and also because I like to minimize our oil use when possible. So I thought possibly I could bake them. So that is what I did. I just put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 degrees until the bread was done. After I took them out I brushed melted butter on them and then sprinkled them with sugar. I thought they turned out quite good. Jonathan also loves them. The others thought they were okay but don't have the same appreciation for prunes that Jonathan and I have.

This is quite a nutritious little snack if you use whole wheat bread dough as I did. I also included some cooked squash in the dough to give it extra nutrition.

Are there any other Balina appreciators out there?

2 comments:

shell said...

I have never made Balinas because I don't like prunes, but Mom made these every so often growing. She usually made some for me minus the prunes. I really enjoy reading your blog it makes think of things from my childhood. Very fun!! Thanks for sharing.

Abbi said...

Thanks for stopping by! If you all would ever want to vacation in Northern MN it would be very fun to have you come here!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin