Friday, January 2, 2009

Goals for 2009

I have been thinking about some things that I want to work on for this year. They are in a variety of areas and in no particular order.

  1. Organize my office in January (perhaps going into February) and keep it that way throughout the year. This includes finishing up projects that are laying around. I have already started working at this and am having fun. I am looking forward to sharing the completed projects and the end result of a fun, organized and inviting work area!
  2. Live in the moment. To many times this last year I have realized I have hurried past someone at church without greeting them, had a bunch of stuff on my mind while a child was talking to me and just not enjoyed every moment as it comes because I have had so much to do. I think it is time to do some slowing down. I think this can be achieved by 2 things: Being more organized (so I am not running behind) and just plain doing less (just because it is good doesn't mean it has to be done).
  3. Have a Joyful year! I think this is a very important fruit of the spirit and one that I really want people to see in me. I also want my children to live lives of Joy. I think it will help to be more conscientiously working on living joyfully.
  4. Stop raising my voice or speaking in a cutting manner with my children. This is something that I have struggled with in the past year and I really want to stop. This has been something I have been praying about and God does truly help but I have to stay in tune with His Spirit. One thing that I have tried but want to work harder on is walking to wherever my children are before giving them instruction. When I try to call from another room so often they don't hear and don't respond and I just get stressed and get louder. It doesn't work for us! Also whenever I get overbooked it tends to come out on my kids with sharp instructions and getting short with them. That is why goal number 2 is very important.
  5. Really having fun with my husband. Sometimes it can be so easy to get caught up in all the day to day issues of caring for a home, raising children, you know... LIFE, that I can sometimes forget about just having fun, laughing and loving together and as a family. I want to do better at that this year. Maybe I can even make myself watch a complete football game with him and enjoy it!
  6. Get all my photos organized. The last couple of years I have really gotten behind (getting a digital camera did not help, which is as I suspected, but I love it anyway!) and I hope to get completely up to date.
  7. Spending an average of $250 or less each month on our groceries.
  8. Doing the flowers for twice as many weddings as I did in 2008.
  9. Be more consistent in child training but also be patient, loving and kind.
  10. Being even more concentrated on the ministry that God has given to me of reconciliation.

"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature;
the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,
namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself,
not counting their trespasses against them,
and he has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ,
as though God were entreating through us;
we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf,
that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

2 Corinthians 5:17-21

How about you? What are your plans and goals for this year?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all great goals. I think that you will be successful and accomplish them all. Wishing you many blessings.
Julie

Danielle said...

Abbi, in the past few months I have been dealing with how I speak to my daughter, and the fruits of this effort have been obvious. I hope to continue to grow in this area in the next year. I will keep you in my prayers, and if you need encouragement, I'd love to hear from you.

Lisa said...

Okay, I have to teasingly point out that in #2 you said you wanted to slow things down, then in #8 ( I think it was) you said you wanted to do twice as many flowers! Heheheh..

Seriously, I am working on my tone with my children as well! Great goals, and pray the Lord will help us all to grow in grace this year!

Abbi said...

Thanks to all for your encouraging words!
Danielle, I would love to hear what worked well for you in that area. I might be e-mailing when I get around to it.
Lisa, thanks for the teasing, it was due! I know I would like to slow down but then there is so much I would like to do too! Oh sometimes it is hard to find a balance.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin