Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Megan being "The Dominican Republic"

Today we had a homeschool get-together and the topic was countries. (I am hoping to write more about our get-togethers in the future.) Each child or Family (some worked as a group) picked a country and then told about it. Megan chose the Dominican Republic as I have gone there and have things from there that she could show.

  And then I saw their national dress. A full tiered skirt with ribbons on it. and then a full top with a ruffly collar. It was so pretty and it actually looked pretty easy to make. So... I decided to make one for Megan.
 It was a fun project! I went together very easily. I just took a few of her measurements (like her waist, torso length, how long the skirt should be and how wide the shirt should be) and then I was able to start cutting.

  For the skirt I decided to divide it up in three tiers. The first tier was 1.5 x her waist length. The next tier was 1.5 x the length of the first tier. I was going to do the 3rd tier 1.5 x the 2nd tier but ended up deciding to make it even fuller. I am glad I did. I gathered the 2nd and 3rd tiers up and then attached them to the tier above. Then I sewed ribbon over top of the place the tiers joined. I put elastic in the top of the 1st tier. Then I sewed the back seam and then put the hem in with ribbon added.
I made the shirt with raglan sleeves and then just made a full ruffle for the collar. I added elastic at the neckline for ease in getting on and off. I also put elastic near the bottom of the sleeves to give a little ruffle there.

  Megan was all ready to represent the Dominican Republic. Her plan was to say "I am the Dominican Republic" but she got a little shy so I had to explain that she was "from" the Dominican Republic.


1 comment:

Nola said...

I would love to hear more about your homeschooling get-togethers...all about it...I'd love to hear how the group started and what type of things you do, where your group gets ideas, how you handle the varying age groups, how many families attend..

Homeschooling is not popular where I live, but there are two other families and possibly one or two more who might be homeschooling. I am considering starting a type of homeschooling support group...possibly also extending it to stay at home moms (having some activities that are just for homeschoolers but some would be for any moms at home, homeschooling or not, due to the limited amount of homeschoolers there are). So I would love to hear about your group.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin