Monday, October 24, 2011

Vinegar

 I had mentioned a while back that I was trying my hand at making vinegar. When I did someone commented and asked if I could share more information on that. Well I still don't know if I am a successful vinegar maker or not as the vinegar making process takes months but I thought I could at least share a little more about what I am doing and also share some links that I have found.

 I believe it was the book "Preserving with Honey" that really made me think that I might actually be able to make vinegar. The book (if I am remembering the right title- it was from the library and I no longer have it) made vinegar making sound pretty simple. Then I read in Carla Emery's book "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" about it as well. Reading there also made the process sound pretty simple but then Carla said that she had never actually been able to successfully make it. So... maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I don't know yet.

 Here is what I did so far:
  • I took some crab apples and apple cores and covered them with water and heated them on the stove.
  • I then strained out the juice and placed it in a glass bottle. I used dark ones if possible but then I also used clear ones when I ran out of the other.
  • Then I covered them with some cotton fabric to allow the air in but to keep the bugs out (and I will add that the fruit flies are quite attracted to this process!).
  • I then put them in a cool and fairly dark place (a shelf in my pantry) where they will get to sit for the next 4-6 months.
During that time the are supposed to turn to wine and then on into vinegar. I will say that they are getting a nice (?) winey smell going in there. It was a pretty simple process- now just to see if it really works!

Here is some more information that I have found on vinegar:
Have you ever made vinegar? I would love to hear about your experience!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I am very intrigued by this process. I have always wondered how vinegar is made and you have actually done it. Totally cool.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin