Friday, March 24, 2017

A Sweater Made from the Stash - What Do You Have in Your Hand?

 I really have been having a lot of fun making things using things we already have on hand in the last few months. I just haven't managed to post them very quickly.

  I like to make things just in general but to me there is a something special about making something when I have a little extra challenge such as repurposing something or making something from scraps and having to figure out how to make them work together. This was one of those scrap projects.

I started it at the beginning of December with the very ambitious goal of getting it done to give Megan for Christmas. That did quite happen. We did take a couple of trips where I worked on it long and hard and I knitted many times in between (trying to do it discreetly so Megan wouldn't see it) but Christmas Eve came and I think there was still a sleeve that needed to be finished and I needed to sew them all together and knit the ribbing. It wouldn't have fit in her stocking anyway. I did eventually get it done however.
 I have long loved the Fair Isle patterns and had saved a knitting magazine that had this one in it. I love the more traditional colors but I was working to use of what we had on hand. So I ended up doing this in different shades of blue and purples. Some of our favorite colors. I really like how the coloring combinations turned out and was very pleased to be able to use up yarn from our stash for this purpose.
 The back was solid and the sleeves were supposed to be too but I did't have enough of the purple. So they became patterned too. They are way thicker that way.
The sweater pattern was supposed to be bulky but if I were a better knitter I would have sized it better to fit my slender girl. Oh well, she likes it and has worn it quite a bit so it is a success.


Do you like to make things from scraps? What have you done lately "using what you had in your hand (what you already owned)?


5 comments:

angie said...

I committed to pray for a teen girl in our church who is going with other youth to serve on a missions trip. We are also asked to fill a large envelope with goodies for a care package for the teen. I filled mine to overflowing with things that I had on hand. The only thing that I bought was a clif bar.

Greg and Donna said...

Beautiful sweater! And your daughter looks quite pleased with it! I am doing a quilt block challenge posted on facebook and used fabrics I already had at home. I already have a 2nd one lined up and ready to go!

Abbi said...

Very cool! I love hearing how others are working to use what they have as well!

Nola said...

The sweater is beautiful!!! I love those colours together.

My Mom was visiting and she helped me make curtains for my bedroom. Since moving in we haven't had the right curtains. We had been using some very old navy blue curtains that were too small for the window, faded badly and did not go at all with the green paint on the walls. A friend had given me curtains she didn't want anymore. So we used those. They were long curtains and had grommet style holes at the top which I don't like. But at the bottom they actually had hemmed them with an opening so we turned them around, cut off the grommets and used the hem opening for the top. Then we cut the curtains in half since they were really long and I didn't want that for the bedroom. We used the other half to line the back of the now shorter curtains. They weren't thick enough before and the light came in too much. So now they are great! They are the right length, the kind of top I like and they block out the light. They are also a colour that goes with the walls and bedding and they look new! They were free.

Abbi said...

Nola,
Thank you! That is neat that you figured out ways to alter the curtains to make them work for you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin