Sunday, October 7, 2018

What Did Jesus Say About "Stuff"?

  Hello! Welcome to day number 6 (except I missed number 5 so really it is just my 5th day of writing - I may go back and make that day up - we shall see!) of my series on Decluttering and simplifying.

 When we decided to memorize the Sermon on the Mount a few years back I really enjoyed my time of digging deeper into it and really meditating on it. I guess I had read it many times before but I hadn't thought about it so much. Really dwelling on it left me with some pretty deep convictions that I hadn't held before. One of those really had to do with what we own. I believe Jesus teaches pretty strongly that we should hold what we own pretty lightly. That we should not be attached to it. I think this is a pretty big thing to grasp mentally that will help us as we try to simplify and get rid of clutter in our homes.

  Here are some of the verses that I found convicting on the subject of "stuff":

" You have heard that it was said, Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth." But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." Matthew 5:38-42

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and ruse destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in barns and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 

  And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how    God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is throw in to the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you or little faith? So do not worry, saying what shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow but let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34 

I hope these verses are encouraging and convicting for you as well.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Thank you . . . we all need to be reminded of these words. It's so easy to get caught up in the things of today and worry about what tomorrow has in store for us. When all we really have to do is look back . . . He has always been there for us and He is not giving up on us now. Hallelujah!
Great Post!
Connie :)

Abbi said...

That is so true!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin