Sunday, October 21, 2012

Following Jesus into loving the unlovable

Please join me as I search God's word to learn better how to walk in Jesus' steps....

Today I want to share some verses from Matthew chapter 9:

 "Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples.  When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why is your teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?" But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not the healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means; "I desire compassion, and not sacrifice," for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Verses 10-13

The lesson that I learn from the actions of Jesus in this record was the fact that he spent time with people on the basis of whether he could be of help to them, not whether or not it would make Him look good or important.

  Most of us can find it pretty easy to be influenced by peer pressure. We want people to think well of us. Even as adults we often still want to be seen with the "cool people". I wish I could say this wasn't something that ever affected me but unfortunately I am not immune either. Though I like to be my own person much of the time I can still find myself thinking about how I look based on who I am with. As we have gotten more involved in politics it has been kind of fun to have chances to visit with current and former elected leaders and I have caught myself thinking about how that made me look kind of important too. I hate to think back on these thoughts of mine - but unfortunately they have happened.

  But in the future it is my goal to be like Jesus. I want to focus not on how I look when I am by any certian person or group but wether I can be a vessel that carries God's love to them, whoever they are! I want to be one that seeks out the "unloveable" and share God's love with them.

On another note....
I was blessed to be able to work with some gorgeous fall flowers this weekend. Often I like to share a photo of something beautiful that I have enjoyed this past week. Flowers are high on my list this week of beautiful things. We have a wonderful Creator!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin