Monday, October 21, 2013

Harvesting and Using Horseradish

Horseradish growing
I enjoy horseradish. My favorite use is mixed with mayo and ketchup and used on fried fish but I also enjoy it on beef and in other things. I like to have a little spiciness now and then. We used to buy it at the store but I haven't done that for quite a few years now as my parents have it growing in their garden and they have enough to share too.

    This summer I ran out of horseradish and was eager to get more but it is better to harvest in the fall so I needed to wait. Actually I read later that it is best to harvest after frost (I think it increases the potency of it) but we did harvest before that though I might go back now that it is frosted and get some more sometime.

  With horseradish you want the root. I loosened up the soil around the plant with a potato fork and then I gently pulled and got out as much of the root as I was able. The horseradish had grown mixed in with my parents potatoes so we were able to dig both at once. The roots can often be long, twisted and skinny but we did the best we could.
 This is some of our harvest.
 My nephew Nic helped me out but cutting the leaves off for me.
Then I brought them home and scrubbed them and peeled or cut off the really bad looking parts. Then I chopped them a little smaller and but them in the food processor. I added a bit of water and a splash of white vinegar (it helps it keep better and I guess also stops it from getting super hot) and got ready to grind it up.
The food processor was taken out to the porch for this step. When horseradish is getting chopped up it is very strong. It can make your eyes and throat, etc. burn like onions except worse. I have heard of bad results of doing it inside so I decided to just play it safe and do it outside.

  I let it grind up as little as it would and then I put it in a jar and am storing it in the fridge. I am glad to have a supply of horseradish on hand again!

  When my sister processed some I took to her she did do it (in her blender) inside but she had the blender right under her fan/vent.

   Do you process your own horseradish? Do you do anything different? I would love to have you add your thoughts or tips! Also - what do you all like to use horseradish for?

Amy
 

3 comments:

angie said...

I remember my grandfather making horseradish sauce in their kitchen. They had an outside door in the kitchen, so that and the window were kept open. I would also caution you to make sure you thoroughly (!) wash your hands before using the bathroom, as that is a lesson he learned the hard way.

Tiffany M. said...

This is off topic from your current post but I wanted to let you know that I got your herbs today (the ones I won in your giveaway!) Thank you very much :) They look and smell great!

Abbi said...

Angie - Thanks for the tip! :-)

Tiffany, I am glad you like the herbs!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin