Sunday, July 19, 2009

Speaks-to-me-Sunday

I have been reading through (slowly and carefully, and rereading things over so I get them) first John lately and this section of scripture is one that "jumps out" at me every time.

"My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." 1 John 2:1-6

I find this section so comforting in the fact that I do sin but this tells me that Jesus Christ has covered my sins and yours too! I also see a challenge: I need to keep His commandments. That is something I must do! I have found many people who have said things like "It is Love that is important" (and indeed it is the greatest commandment) and those that find feelings important and I am not saying those aren't but this scripture points out to me that our relationship with God comes from our obedience to Him and His word. We can't accept the forgiveness but forget about the obedience. If you don't obey Him you don't really know Him.

What are your thoughts on these verses? I would really love to hear!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Abbi,

Nice post. Don't you think that to accept His forgiveness naturally follow the choice of obedience? Because in accepting His salvation, I fell in love with Him and disobedience wasn't an option anymore.

Kat

Abbi said...

Kat,
Obediance should be the natural response to what Jesus did for us but I know that it isn't always. In my life I have to make the choice to be obediant and I know that many times even though Jesus has offered forgiveness and grace, people still choose to disobey.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin