I planted a lot of different greens this year: Chinese Cabbage, Kale, 3 types of Lettuce, Tatsoi and Purple Mustard and possibly more that I am not remembering at the moment. My goal is to be able to make salad every day for supper throughout the remainder of the growing season. Not only will that be good for us but it will help us save money on our food budget as I will not need to buy so many fresh fruits and veggies.
Here are some ideas of things you can add to your salads:
- Chick peas (easy and economical to cook up yourself.
- Cheese- any variety shredded or even chunked. Our homemade cheese from Goat milk is yummy crumbled on salad.
- Boiled eggs (this works well for us right now since our birds are producing nicely.)
- Homemade croutons
- Sunflower Seeds
- Black eyed Beans
- Cooked up Chicken Breasts
- Cooked up pieces of steak
- Many other veggies such as radishes, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
- Black Olives
- and much more...
I would love to hear how you like to eat your salads. Do you grow salad stuff in your garden?
If you are looking for some homemade salad dressing recipes or want to know how to make croutons then visit this old post of mine.