Sunday, December 8, 2013

Blessed be the name of the Lord

A Sundog that we got to see last week (We have had some COLD weather)
  I recently started reading the book of Job again. The story is very familiar to me and sometimes I can have a tendency to think about the story a whole lot when it is quite familiar. But this week when I read about all the servants that came running to tell him that He had lost this or that and Job just listens and then responds with this:

   "Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and he fell to the ground and worshipped. He said,
   "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God." Job 1:20-22

 I think the story hit me a little harder this time because some friends of ours spent last week in urgent care watching their 12 year old daughter battle for her life (Thanks to God she is getting better now - still in the hospital but much improved) and as I was spending much of the week in prayer over that situation it made me realize yet again how fragile life can be. Here a girl who had been doing great at our homeschool group at the beginning of November was now in a situation where she might not make it. Our family had had the same sickness bug that led to her health problems (pneumonia that went into her heart) and I realized just how easily it could have been us. Life is fragile. We don't have a promise that we will never lose a child.

   Job lost all of his children (plus his belongings and his health) in one blow and yet his reaction was to worship. He blessed God. Would that be my reaction? I hope so!

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin