Sunday, August 11, 2019

Picking Berries

 One of my favorite summer activities is berry picking. I never get to do it quite as much as I would like to but I truly enjoyed the times I was able.

   Our first major berry picking of the summer was to go to the up-pick strawberry farm. My sister, Keren and boys and my Sister-in-law, Bea and boy went with us. 
 We got quite a few pails and ate a bunch while we were picking as well. They are so good when they are very fresh and perfectly ripe. It was so fun to see my nephews enjoying the strawberries. They also really enjoyed riding in the ATV that took us out to the field.
 
   We froze most of our strawberries but Megan also made a batch of jam and I made a fresh strawberry pie which is something I always like to have when we have fresh strawberries.

   We have also been blessed to be able to pick some strawberries from our garden but just a small bowl full at a time so we have enjoyed them fresh or in smoothies.
   
 Blueberries were next on the picking schedule. I love picking them. It is so fun to get out in the woods and just find yummy berries. Keren and boys, Aaron, Sharyl (my mother-in-law) and I were the ones on this outing.

   When we went to pick up Keren and boys we figured that they would be excited to go with us as they (Ephraim who is 3- especially ) had really enjoyed going strawberry picking with us. This time however Ephraim was a bit reluctant and nervous. We found out that he had been thinking a bit to much about the book "Blueberries for Sal" (super cute book by the way in case you haven't seen it) and was nervous about meeting a bear the way Sal had. After a few tears we went on our way with Aaron promising to scare away any bears that might come and distracting Ephraim with other books.

   When we got there the fears seemed to have disappeared and Ephraim had a grand time playing in the woods.
 Mathias liked the taste of blueberries pretty well and I gave him some for his little tin bucket which he would happily eat but then he did figure out how to just sit down and pick his own berries.
 My lovely berries.
We did make it to the blueberry patch a couple more times and we are happy to have some in the freezer and I made a batch of jam.

Ken and I also went and picked some raspberries at my parents one evening and Megan and I picked some wild ones around here. With the wild ones I made some raspberry rhubarb jam. I have been finding rhubarb very nice to use in addition to berries in jam to complete the quantity needed. It tastes really good together too!

   I am so glad God made berries!

   We miss Mara at berry picking time especially as that is something that she loves to do. She was sad about missing our berries up here but has been abundantly blessed to find many other things to pick in Kansas. She has picked strawberries and blackberries at her in-laws and then has found gooseberries, mulberries and plums to pick at areas around her apartment. She has been making lots of jam as well. We are so blessed!

2 comments:

Connie said...

I think of my berries as mana from heaven, all I do is water the lawn and garden and we are blessed with them every year. Blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb, apricots and grapes . . . I do nothing but water, what a blessing. I did enjoy your post; we have a mutual love of picking berries.

Abbi said...

It is such a blessing to get an abundance of bounty without doing much of anything. God is so generous with us!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin