Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Homestead Happenings

 Spring is always a fun time of year, I think. So much new life and so much fun work to do. Here are a few glimpses of the last couple weeks around our homestead...
New Baby Chicks. We bought 20 more layers and when they get big enough we will butcher our current layers for stew meat.
 The bees seem pretty healthy and happy and the crab apple tree next to them does as well.

 Ken tilled my garden for me a week and a half ago.
 My peonies are doing great this year and I am very excited about their upcoming blooming!
 Megan and I cleaned out the garden shed and then she decided to paint it as well. We were getting a place ready in it for our cat that is going to have kittens any time. Megan made a very cute maternity ward. Hopefully she uses it. Funny story on the Cat. We were told it was a male and named it Mr. Belo but have since figured out it was a girl and not just a girl but a pregnant one. He name is now Muriel Hubbard aka Mother Hubbard.
 I love Forget-me-nots!
 We have enjoyed harvesting rhubarb and making a delicious rhubarb custard cheesecake type of dessert. The whole family loved it.
 This chicken and it's mates are on their 3 or 4th summer now.


 I bought and planted 3 new apple trees which is rather exciting.
 This year has been the best one yet for having lots of perennials come back. It is so fun to see my herbs and flower gardens look beautiful. The picture above shows my Wormwood plant and a marchmallow.
Ken has been working to finish our sprinkler system which will use river water. It will work on the yard as well as the garden. He also is making a hydrant to use up by the animals and garden. It will be exciting to get it done.

2 comments:

storyworld said...

Hope you are all doing well, staying healthy, and I hope God continues to bless you all.

storyworld said...

Hope you all are doing ok!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin