Monday, May 1, 2023

Decluttering Challenge




Good morning!!

 I decided to challenge myself this month to the decluttering challenge where you get rid of as many things as the number of the day. So on May 1st you get rid of 1 item, on May 15th you get rid of 15 things and on the 31st you get rid of 31. It gets progressively harder.  

    Knowing that life gets busy and there are some days I just don't have an extra minute or two to spend on decluttering I do allow myself to work ahead. I keep track of it by tally marks on my wall calendar. So this morning I have already decluttered 5 items. I marked 1 in today, 2 in tomorrow and 2 on the 3rd (which I obviously need to do one more for that day).

   It is pretty simple and shouldn't be that hard. It doesn't have to be a "Big" item to count (such as a piece of furniture or a pair of pants). This is a great time to go through any piles of paper/mail, magazines, craft supplies. I don't know what builds up in your house but you do. 

   I just wanted to touch quickly on the motivation for decluttering. Here are some reasons that I do it:

  • It saves me time in the long run. Having less stuff means I don't have trouble finding stuff so much and I don't have as much work when I clean.
  • It helps me to have more mental peace and clarity. Getting rid of clutter really helps to reduce the feelings of stress in our household.
  • It is easier to have company on short notice.
This is embarrassing to share but this is my big motivator this month. My office closet is in desperate need of some TLC. Especially with wedding season starting. My flower fridge is in this closet (to the right) and a lot of flower supplies are too. I had my first wedding of the year (see top photo) this past weekend and it was really frustrating to have to deal with this mess while I worked. Craft supplies are probably the thing that I have the most trouble decluttering so I am hoping and praying this goes well. :-)

I will try to post some updates this month on the challenge but I also have a lot of other things that I would like to blog on -including a recent family trip to Ireland ! - so we will see what time allows.


Happy decluttering!


   

1 comment:

Amy Riley said...

WOW!!! Ireland! I can't wait to read about it when you have time to share.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin