I do still get a few different magazines coming to our house. One comes as a gift (and by they way I do think that is a nice gift to give) and some come free for various reasons.
- Read things on that topic online. This was the big reason that I decided it was unnecessary for me to spend money on magazines- I was already reading the things like what I would read in magazines online in blogs and such. For example- I like homesteading and crafting magazines but I can find so much information of that nature online that buying a magazine seems quite unneeded.
- Sign up for free Magazines. I have enjoyed receiving "No Greater Joy" and "Above Rubies", both which come free. There are others like this as well if you look around.
- Take advantage of free opportunities for magazines which normally do cost money. For example we are currently getting "Family Fun" because I saw a free offer for it one day when I was reading Money Saving Mom.
- Gratefully accept 2nd hand magazines. I enjoy "World" now and then because my parents get it and then pass it on to us. A lot of magazines are still very interesting and informative even if you don't read them the week that they were published. Also in this topic- once you have read a magazine why not pass it on to someone else to enjoy?
- Check them out from the Library. If there is a magazine that I would really like to look at I can either read it at the library or check it out (though it can't be checked out if it is the current copy). They have a very large selection- at least at our library.
What are your thoughts on Magazine subscriptions?
I am linking this to Frugal Friday at Life as MOM.