Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Foraged Bouquets

 So I had set the goal of making a bouquet from something I had foraged outside every week this year. I was also hoping to blog about it. That hasn't gone to terribly well so far. I have completely foraged 4 bouquets so far and partially foraged a couple more. I did share my pine cone bouquet and the bouquet I was able to gather while in St. Thomas (that did feel a little cheating to be in the tropics in February to gather a bouquet :-). 

  Before I had gone I had stopped by the side of the road one day and gathered a bunch of Highbush Cranberry branches with berries on them. I had kept noticed this large row of them as I drove by (they weren't by anybody's house or anything) and the bright red looked so pretty against the snow. I have been surprised that the birds haven't eaten them. Anyway I picked some. The stems holding the berries were a little fragile and the berries a little squishy but if you didn't mess with them to much they made a fun decoration for our table.
we had them there for around a week. I don't think I would really recommend using them (after being frozen anyway) for a wedding bouquet but you could if you wanted to.

This was my "Wedding bouquet" look with some white lace around the bottom.
 I did a woodsy theme at the Bridal show this year. I ordered flowers in for that but I also used some foraged items. In the bouquet above I had acorns that had been gathered, lichen from the birch trees and some highbush cranberry twigs that I had stuck in water and the leaves had sprouted on them. Which is a fun thing to do if you are feeling a little impatient for Spring to arrive. Cut off some sort of twig/branch around your place, stick it in water and it will probably start sending out leaves. Maybe even flowers.
 This bouquet had branches in it that I had gathered from our woods.
This centerpiece boasts  branches, wood pieces, a little canoe that Aaron made out of birchbark, moss, pinecones, a bird's nest, sweet gum balls (found when in North Carolina and saved) and acorns - all foraged. It is a super cheap way to make a centerpiece, the other parts were repurposed glass bottles and 3 stems of flowers and a little greenery.

 We still have very, very tall stacks of snow (we got around 6 more inches on Sunday) but it is melting some now. Flowers are a ways off but there is always beauty to be found.

  I am curious what is going on where you live - do you have things growing already or do you still have a lot of snow too?

5 comments:

Amy Riley said...

We are in an inbetween. Not much growing BUT we did have three days above 50 degrees this week! Tomorrow we're back down to 40. That being said - our ducks (we think they are the same ones) have come to make their nest in our hostas so spring is on its way!

Abbi said...

It was over 40 here yesterday too. Last night we got a lot of rain but we are supposed to get snow today - we shall see. This time of year is messy but very fun.

HappyMommy said...

Your bouquets are beautiful!

Abbi said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin