Friday, February 17, 2017

What Do You Have In Your Hand?

 I suppose it is just human nature to enjoy new things. So when something that we have gets old it is easy to just want to get something new. I believe however that we can do a little retraining of our thinking in that area and learn to enjoy what we already "have in our hand". I have been having some fun with that lately and I thought I would share a few examples with you.
This pair of shoes of mine is I believe around 15 years old. I don't wear them super often just now but there was a time when I wore them most Sundays. The still work just fine but were looking a little shabby (see shoe on right). So I polished them up with some of my new homemade polish. I also cut off a few loose threads. They look much better now (see shoe on left) and I happily wore them to church again. I did this with some of my other pairs of shoes as well.

 This blanket that we received as a wedding gift over 18 years ago had lost the ribbon edging and was stringy around the edges.
 I added a new ribbon (in purple as I had that and we have purple and green in our bedroom) and it is ready to use again!
 This pair of scissors had broken.
 After a little bit of super glue (I like to keep that on hand - it can be very useful) they were good to use again.
 This book was missing it's cover. I added some new cardboard pieces for a cover and then covered them with a wallpaper scrap.
 It looks so much better now and it gave it a new life.
 We had a whole collection of books that were needing attention.

 With cardboard scraps, tape, hot glue and fabric I fixed a bunch of them so they look much nicer again and will last much better.


These are some close-ups of the work in progress.

 The mended books!
I really like some of my new covers! It was a really fun project for me too (and Megan helped me some as well). I was able to be creative, use up various scraps of things and work with something I love - Books!

  As we read through all of our books we are finding more books that need attention so I am mending them little by little as well.

  What have you done lately to use what you have in your hand?

2 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Your shoes look great!!!

Abbi said...

Thank you! I do like getting real leather shoes and they can be made to last and look pretty good for years and years.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin