Are you enjoying the blessings in life that can be had without money? Here is a reminder of some of the many things that we can enjoy even while seeking to live frugally.
Five Things You Can Do For Free (Fun Dates For Valentines Day!)
- Go to a Concert. This might not work to be exactly on Valentine's day but perhaps in that time period. Also I suppose it might not work in all communities but in ours (we live in a University Town) there are oodles of concert opportunities that are free. For instance in the coming weeks there are faculty piano recitals, a Baroque Ensemble Concert, A Percussion Ensemble Concert, College Senior Recitals and more. All Free. Check out you local Chamber of Commerce event listings, college events near you, church events (In our town the local Church Musicians have concerts on a regular basis) and school events.
- Pack a picnic and take a hike. Yes, this can be done even in the winter. Bring some hot chocolate in your lunch. If you have skis or snowshoes that could add a fun dimension to your outing.
- Go to an Art Gallery/ Museum. I know even in our medium sized town there are a couple of different art galleries that you can go to for free. When I visited Cleveland, Ohio this summer they had a HUGE art museum that you could visit for free. What do you have in your area?
- Go on a scenic drive. Plan a fun route - maybe an area you have never explored before.
- Have your kids help you plan a special romantic dinner for you and your spouse. You can decorate the house using various things you have on hand, plan a special menu (again using things you have on hand- have fun looking for new recipes using ingredients that you have), Figure out which child will be the waiter, the bus boy, the coat clerk, the musician, etc. Have fun finding appropriate fancy outfits for each of them. If you don't have a child that can play an instrument or sing for music then find a CD or music online that they can play. Put candles on the tables and dim the lights. The fancy table where you and your spouse dine could be put in a different room to make it different and special. That way the kids could eat their meal on the dining room table in between serving you. Make up a paper or chalkboard menu to announce the special meal that is going to be served. Many children will love getting to play restaurant like this and will totally enjoy serving you for a special evening. If you would like to make it a double date invite another family with children to join in with you. The kids could watch a pre-planned movie or play a game or clean things up while the parents visit and perhaps play a game. Realize that this will not quite be the same as going out to eat without kids but in can be just as fun too. You may need to jump up from your meal to help when something goes awry. You may need to do clean-up afterwards. You may need to take a break from your date and put kids to bed and then you could play a game or watch a movie at home.
|One years' decorated table|
Ideas for Free Valentines that You can Make for Free
Suncatcher Make a Suncatcher with old crayons
Free Valentines you can Print
Free Gifts you Can Give
- A Kiss, etc. - Would your spouse appreciate more physical attention? This is a wonderful gift that we can give in our marriage.
- Love Notes. This old post of mine gives some thoughts on the beauty of writing love notes.
- Babysitting. Do you have friends that would like to have a date without children? Offer your services as a babysitter.
- Candy. Candy is something that can be really fun to make using things that you already have on hand. It also makes a very traditional and appreciate Valentine's gift. Here is a link to many posts that I have written telling about Candy that I have made using things that I had on hand. Maybe one of the recipes will work for you too.
The Best Free Gift!!!
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
Do you have any free ideas for Valentine's day to add? I would love to hear them!