This past week I had a couple of sick kids (the younger 2) and they really got hit with the bug. They ran fevers, were achy, had runny noses, didn't want to eat, were really tired and then it went in their chest and they started coughing and had sore throats. It was pretty much everything but vomit and diarrhea (and I am always very happy when that doesn't bother to come to our house!!!).
So I started thinking of what we should do to try to help them get better, I read out of books, and sought advice. Here is how the patients got treated:
- Lots of rest. Bodies need rest to heal. Nap times were enforced and they slept! We also tried to make them comfortable on the couch when they wanted to be around people and often the would drift off to sleep there.
- Lots of clear liquids. We didn't want any dehydration and we also wanted to keep there insides cleaned out so they drank lots of water, some juice, tea and hot honey lemonade.
- Pray! This is most important and helpful. It works!
- Massages. Massage not only makes the patient feel better but can also aid in healing. I rubbed them down with baby oil and R.C. essential oil. (It contains Myrtle, Eucalyptus, globulus, E. australiana, E. radiata, Marjoram, Pine, Cypress, Lavender, Spruce, Peppermint and E. citriodora) The essential oil is supposed to help relieve congestion.
- Steamy baths. This helps to to loosen up the gunk in their chests. (Now that sounds like a Dr. talking doesn't it!!) I also put a few drops of R.C. oil in the bathwater.
- Zinc and vitamin C.
- Chicken Soup. Chicken soup is proved to be helpful in healing so I pulled out some of the chicken broth (with some meat) that I had made from natural chickens and frozen and made some soup. In the soup I also put other healthy ingredients to help with the healing. Such as:
- Garlic. This helps strengthen our immune system. Not only did we have it in our soup but I made garlic bread to go with it. I am quite sure our breath didn't smell to go that night! Thankfully we were sticking around home.
- Thyme. I seasoned our soup with it as it is supposed to help get rid of congestion too.
- Onions. You can read about the health value here.
Disclaimer~ I am not a Dr. and do not claim to have any authority in the health care field. The things mentioned above worked well for us but I take no responsibility for the health of your family if you choose to try them.