Saturday, October 30, 2010

Coriander/Cilantro {Herbs for health and hunger}

 There has often been some confusion with this herb because it is called Cilantro when you use the leaves and Coriander when you use the seeds. This herb is used all the time and well loved in many Asian and Middle Eastern countries but I have found a lot of people here don't care a lot for the smell or taste.

  I have grown to really like it as long as I don't use to much! This summer when my cilantro was growing wildly out in the garden I do remember making one rice dish with a bit to much cilantro! However it adds a wonderful flavor to Indian Curries. We really, really enjoyed the last Chicken Curry I made with a nice touch of Cilantro.

 If you would like to make Chicken Curry I will share with you the "recipe" that I wrote down while Mr. and Mrs. Mathew (Some friends from India) were teaching us how to make it. I put recipe in quotation marks because I don't have exact measurements mostly just estimates. I don't personally mind that however as I have trouble following a recipe exactly anyway.

  Chicken Curry
Saute in oil:
  • a few mustard seeds
  • Lots of curry powder
  • Lots of sliced garlic
  • Lots of sliced ginger  (I told you the amounts weren't very scientific!!)
Then add:
  • Some chopped tomatoes (4 or 5 or more) When I don't have fresh tomatoes I use canned ones.
  • Lots of chopped onion.
  • A couple of stems of chopped cilantro leaves (or if you don't have fresh you can put in the coriander seeds.)
  • 2 T. Garam Masala
  • 1t. black pepper
  • 2 1/2 t. salt
Stir in small pieces of Chicken and potatoes and cook until tender.

Serve over rice and enjoy!

All parts of this plant can be used: leaves, flowers, roots and seeds. You don't want to let it go to waste!

So what is Cilantro/Coriander good for as far as Healing goes? (Remember however I am not a medical authority, I am simply sharing what I have tried or read concerning this herb)
  • It is antiviral.
  • The seed aids digestion.
  • It reduces flactuance (seed).
  • It eases Migraine headaches. (seed)
  • Sprinkle some Coriander on cuts and scrapes after washing to prevent infection.
  • It may relieve Arthritis with anti-inflammatory action.
  • Weak coriander infusions may be given cautiously to children under age 2 for colic.
To Grow:
It grows quite easily from seeds sown 1/2 inch deep in early Spring. Germination can take up to 3 weeks. It grows best in moist, well drained, moderately rich soil under full sun, but it tolerates some shade.

What do you like Cilantro/Coriander for?

This post is linked to the Home Remedies Carnival at Keeper of the Home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin