We have made some choices concerning our children's birthdays that are not really typical but they have worked well for us. We have never had one of those birthday parties where we send out cute little invitations, prepare a bunch of little favor bags and then have a houseful (or restaurant) of little kids. I don't think there is anything wrong with that sort of thing but we do have our reasons for doing things differently.
I thought I would share what we do and why. Not to make you feel guilty if it is different from you, nor to have you feel sorry for us or our kids if that is your reaction. I simply thought I would share so if you were wondering if it would work to scale things back and if others have done it, then you will know that the answer is "Yes!" and it works and we have fun with less stress.
- We give gifts (usually fairly simple, often homemade) in the morning before breakfast.
- The Birthday person gets to pick the menu for the day.
- We have a birthday cake. The Birthday person chooses what they want and usually I bake it (unless my Mom or sister does).
- We have my parents and siblings over and every so often somebody else of our friends from church.
- I have observed children that were totally overwhelmed by parties given for them. To many people, to many gifts and so on. I didn't want that for my kids.
Now I am curious, what do you do in your family? Why have you made the decisions that you did?