Saturday, November 27, 2010

The winter fun has begun!

Megan gets ready inside
 It is now cold and snowy around our place and it is time for winter sports. My kids are quite happy and excited.

  They had been wanting to make a skating rink in our yard but then discovered that the swamp behind our house was frozen and there were some spaces available for skating. This summer (with assistance from a friend who frequents garage sales) we found bigger skates for all the kids (though no good ones for me unfortunately) for not much money. Skates can be expensive- even used ones at the stores, so this was a blessing!

Megan and Mara testing the ice

Megan's skates have double blades.

The boys got pretty fast on their skates.

Mara had to hold Megan up.

Aaron purposely laid down to pose for the picture and then showed my how he could lay his bare belly on the ice.
After the skating adventure we got snow. They will have to do some shoveling before they can go again. But they have had fun sledding.

 Since Thanksgiving the big job has been putting up Christmas lights. This is Ken's project but he even got me out their this year stringing lights around trees. He decided that he wanted the yard lighted up this year too- not just the house. However, he did have to do things a bit differently on the house this year because he didn't want to go up to the peak of our house with all the snow on it.
Ken working on lighting the garage and Megan watching.
 Today we pulled out the cross country skis and the younger three had a wonderful time skiing.
Megan thinking about going down a slope but she decided against it.

The boys tumbled some but had a wonderful time on the little hills.
That is some of the fun we have been having in our "Winter Wonderland". Do you have snow or ice? Are you having fun outside?

5 comments:

Anna said...

The skiing looks like so much fun! I need to get my kids to place where they can ski. They never have. Megan lloks quite adept at it in the picture.

Becky R said...

We are still having some nice fall weather. It was sunny today but with a chill in the air. We just had to wear winter coats for first time today.

I haven't even raked the mess of leaves in my yard yet.

Looks like you guys had fun!

Maria said...

My sons have almost finished all the raking...one more spot in the front yard and it will be all done...finally. I don't think I'm looking forward to the cold, but that first snow storm of the season is always my favorite......then the sun can come back out and be 80 again!!!! But I'm doubting that is going to happen :)

Your children look like they are having so much fun...enjoy them.....

Martha said...

Looks like some very nice times. That is cool that you could go skating so close to home.

Nola said...

How fun! We have snow (finally, we normally get it much before now). However we are having a warm spell and it was melting a bit today. We are supposed to get cool again and more snow towards the end of the week. My girls did like the melting part though since then we actually have packing snow to make a snowman. Around here that seldom happens. I do hope we get lots of snow though this year. Last year we didn't get as much as normal (about 2 feet only) but the year before we had 4 feet in our front yard! The kids love the snow and I love pulling them around on the sled when I have energy! Now my oldest pulls her little sister.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin