I know there are many people right now that are having to get by on less due to lost jobs or something of that nature so I thought it would be timely to share things that we do that save us at least $100 a year (each thing saves us that much). Maybe it will somehow help you too!
So here we go!
- I cut the hair of everybody in our family but me, and my sister graciously cuts mine.
- We go out to eat pretty rarely.
- The majority of our clothes are hand-me-downs. We either wear them "as is" or I refashion them.
- We give a lot of homemade gifts.
- I pack Ken's lunch for when he goes to work.
- I manage my schedule so I don't go shopping or run errands that often, saving gas and shopping money.
- I am proactive towards keeping our family healthy so we rarely visit the Dr. (We have chosen to be well informed on health as well instead of doing well child visits.)
- I don't buy normal cleaning products or Laundry detergent. Instead I make my own from things like vinegar and baking soda or I have bought some super strong products (and natural) that you add water to.
- I don't wear (or buy) make-up and I also make my own "shampoo".
- We very rarely hire a babysitter. Partly this is because my parents live in the area and very graciously watch our kids for us occasionally but also we just do most things as a family rather than having somebody watch our kids.
- We don't smoke.
- We don't drink alcohol.
- We garden and are able to get really healthy organic food that way.
- We buy wheat from a grain elevator at a much reduced cost compared to the health food store and we grind our own wheat into flour.
- We glean potatoes from fields in our area and we pick lots of wild berries.
- We "do it ourselves" as much as possible.
- We take advantage of lots of free entertainment such as: Playing games, riding bikes, reading (and using the library), church activities and community events.
- This year I switched the kids to Saxon Math books which are reusable rather than consumable. (And the books were given to us.)
- When traveling we often pack much of our food and stay with friends or relatives.
- I cook from scratch on basically everything but Mac and cheese. :-)
For more frugal ideas visit Life as MOM.