Sunday, November 14, 2010

Words that edify

 "Let no unwholesome words proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

This is a verse the kids and I have been working to memorize lately. There is a reason we want to memorize it- we want to remember it and apply it to our lives every day.

 It is sometimes so easy for us to become upset with others, to say things that aren't kind and sometimes words that tear down. To speak with edification is opposite of that. When we edify others we will say words that instruct or benefit. Words that uplift or enlighten.

That is my goal that as I speak to my family, my friends, anybody that I should meet when I am out and about and also as I write here on this blog- that my words would edify- not tear down! I have a lot of work to do in this area but with God's help I will make progress.

I hope it is your goal to speak words that edify as well!

4 comments:

stacy said...

My goal as well!

abbigail said...

Also my goal, curently working on it. How do you go about getting your kids to memorize verses? I struggle with it and I think repeating over and over eventually becomes boring for mine.

Abbi said...

Abbigail- I am sorry I am so slow to respond to your question. We work on memorizing each school morning. We do just generally recite all our verses together to review them and then if we have a new one we say it more. However other things that I have done in the past is to try to make up actions to do with the verse (sometimes you have to get rather creative!) or walk around while saying the verses and kind of say them in a marching rythm.
We also sometimes write the verse out and read it and then erase words until we are saying it without anything up there.
Another idea is to have them illustrate the verses.

I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and much needed scripture. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin