Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Works for me Wednesday ~ Flax!

Something I have learned to do in the last few years is to add ground flax seed to my baking. Flax is very good for you and throwing it into your baking is not hard. I grind most of my own flour and so when I do that I will just mix a little flax in with my wheat (or rye or whatever) when it is going through the grinder and then there is flax in my flour. If you don't have a grain grinder and aren't grinding flour then it is pretty easy just to grind your flax in a blender or some other sort of food processor. It is best to grind the seeds so you can get the full nutritional value.
Some of the things I put it in are: Bread, muffins, cookies and granola. If you use it in huge amounts you can substitute some flax for a little flour in pretty much anything. Some people eat it raw sprinkled over oatmeal or in their smoothies.

Flax is rich in alpha linolenic acid which is an omega 3 fat. That helps with:
  • Making it Anti-inflammatory which can help with asthma, osteo arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, migraine headaches and osteoporosis.
  • Protecting Bone health
  • Protecting against Heart Disease, Cancer and Diabetes.
  • Preventing and controlling high blood pressure.

Other ways flax can help your health are:

  • Reducing hot flashes (in studies it reduced them over 50%!)
  • It is rich in beneficial fiber which fights constipation.
  • It helps to get rid of the "Blues".

For more detail on the benefits of flax I found these sites helpful: WHFoods and Golden Valley Flax.

All said, Flax definitely works for me!!
Do you use flax? What do you like about it or how do you like to use it?

I also have been enjoying growing flax flowers. I think they are so beautiful and they come back year after year. I haven't figured out if this is the right type to eat though and so I haven't tried harvesting to eat them.

For more Works for me Wednesday tips visit Rocks in my Dryer.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks for this tip! I am going to try this. Where is the best place to buy flax seed?

Anonymous said...

If you want to learn more about flax and why omega-3 fatty acids are important for your healthy, I'd recommend reading Susan Allport's book, The Queen of Fats.

All in a Day said...

I throw flax seed in a lot of my cooking and baking; none of the family has noticed.

Audra Krell said...

I really like the pretty picture of the flowers. Thanks for these great tips, I need to find more ways to add it in to our diet, as I don't have the opportunity to cook very much with our sports schedules.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you could give me more info about your flour. We are wanting to start growing and grinding our own flour. Where did you get your equipment (what exactly does it take anyhow?) and do you grow your own or do you buy it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Abbi said...

Thanks for the comments. To answer questions: I buy my flax seed at our local food co-op (basicly a health food store). I am able to buy it for a pretty good price. However I have also seen it for sale at my local grocery stores and I believe at super Walmart.

About flour: I do grind my own flour with an electric grain grinder. I have a "Whisper mill" which works very well. The term whisper can be a little decieving though as it is still quite loud. It is quiter than other models that I have been around though. I was given my grain grinder as a wedding present so that was a huge blessing for me. If you google "Whisper Mill grain grinder" there are places you can buy it online.
I do not grow my own wheat or other grains. We buy most of it from a grainery a couple of towns away. We have also bought through co-ops but the grainery is a lot cheaper. The price of Wheat is going up however. Last year we paid around $7 for a 50 lb bag and this year it was over $20.
If you are interested in growing your own wheat I would recommend "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery. She explains how to do that as well as how to grow or raise and use many other natural foods.
I hope you all have fun with eating healthier and more natural foods. I find it to be a fun adventure.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin