Monday, December 20, 2010

Peace

   I think this time of year is probably when I hear the word "Peace" most often. We remember the angels saying "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased" Luke 2:14 .
and we realize the Jesus is the Prince of Peace.

  I find it a little ironic however that many times that peace is lacking at this time of year. It is so easy for us to get caught up in being busy, making sure that everything is just right. That we have done enough and do everything on our schedule. There is also that feeling that we need to buy a lot and some people go into debt at this time of year. There are more suicides at this time of year than any other. This doesn't seem very peaceful to me.

 I found it interesting to look at some of the dictionary definitions of peace: "A state of Harmony between people or groups." "Freedom from anxiety, annoyance, or other mental disturbance." "A state of tranquility or serenity." Peace is a very good thing!

Jesus does give us peace. Here are some verses where He tells us of the peace He gives to us: "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

 We don't get to chose if we live in a country that is at peace but we can allow Christ to bring peace into our lives. We can chose to live in a peaceful way. Here are some of the choices that I am striving to always make:
  • Having a right relationship with God.
  • Being at peace with those around me (no anger or bitterness).
  • Concentrating on what is really important (My relationship with God and others) and not stressing over the things that won't last for eternity (Material things).
 Are you at peace?
 I am hoping that all of us will allow Christ to bring us peace in this time of year that can sometimes be so busy!

I will leave you with this verse:
"Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11

-I guess this post ended up being a Monday one instead of a Sunday one- I started it yesterday but it just didn't get it finished then.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin