Sunday, April 28, 2013

Striving to be wise

Last week I spoke of my effort to not be so critical of others and I also mentioned that I find it hard to be criticized (though when it is done kindly I don't find it that hard - but I need to be willing to listen to all of it even when I don't care for it). I found it interesting that a day or so later I was reading to the kids from Proverbs and happened to read these verses:

 "He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, and he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you, reprove a wise man and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
   The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 8:7-10

 My goal is to have wisdom. Part of being a wise person is being willing to listen to reproof and instruction. I hope that I will learn to always do that happily.

 Do you struggle to listen to criticism or reproof?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I often struggle with reproof and correction, but most especially (for some reason) when it comes from my husband. We often butt heads when he tries to teach or instruct me in something. This is an area that I am really trying to work on.

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

The Lord impressed upon me this morning that I have a critical spirit at times. I repented and I have been pondering that all day.

Thanks for sharing this scriptures.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin