|Our at our land last Saturday making plans.|
|Ken and Mara measuring out the house.|
I thought it would be fun to check in with all of your today to see what your advice is for someone creating a new homestead. Here are so questions I would love to hear your answers to:
- What do you like or don't you like about how your homestead is laid out (the mapping, traffic patterns, etc)?
- What animals to you think are best for efficiently providing food on a small piece of property? (We do already have chickens, 2 ducks and bees - we are thinking about adding rabbits and dreaming about a small milk cow.)
- What sort of dog do you recommend that is gentle and mild mannered, would not chase poultry but would help keep deer away?
- What perennial plants would you recommend getting started as soon as possible? (We do live in zone 3 so we have our limits as to what will grow.)
- Any recommendations for growing the food for animals at all? (With limited space.)
- Any tips as we build a chicken coop, garden shed, a bee keeping room (in the back of the garage)and an outhouse?
I will be linking this to Homestead Barn Hop.