Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Berenstain Bears Keep the Faith {A review}



The Berenstain Bears Keep the Faith by Mike Berenstain has the well loved Bear family facing the issue of whether God created the world (their friend says He didn't) and what faith is. The book is fun to read and Mama bear doesn't put Papa bear down or try to boss him in this book (something that irks me about most of their books) and the family has a good time talking about this issue together but to be honest I am not happy with the way the book handled this subject.

  The issue of whether God created the world or not is a huge one in our day. Schools are teaching that it wasn't God but rather evolution/chance, it is amazing to me how widespread the lack of belief in the biblical account of creation is. There are so many that either reject it all together (There is no God at all) or they only take parts of it saying that perhaps God did do some creating but he took millions of years to do it or that He started things but then we evolved from that. There are many twisted ideas out there.

  We do certainly want to counteract those false teachings but I feel that this book does a poor job of it. First of all it is their science minded friend who has an uncle that is a professor scientist who questions their belief. All through the book they make it sound like science is on the side of evolution and that those who believe in God just have to have faith. Well it is true that we have faith because we weren't there to watch God create the world (neither were any evolutionists there to watch anything come into being or even to watch it evolve) we also have a lot of scientific evidence that points to a Creator. 

   So though I like the topic they chose to cover - I don't care for the way they did it and I think it could cause children to think that we don't have any good reasons to explain why we believe what we believe. I think we need to give kids good answers not platitudes that might easily cause them to doubt later in life.

Disclaimer: I received this book free from BookLookBloggers for the purpose of reviewing. The thoughts I expressed are my own and I received no payment for this post.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin