- Virginia is the 10th state, admitted on June, 25, 1788
- Virginia had a huge role in shaping American history.
- Virginia had the first lasting settlement of Europeans.
- Virginia has the nickname: "Mother of Presidents" because four of the first 5 and then later four more presidents came from there.
- The State bird is the Cardinal.
- Virginia has Ocean Coastline, Mountains, national forests rolling hills and valleys. It looks very beautiful.
- Manufacturing is Virginia's leading industry.
Here are some links to help you learn more about Virginia:
- Info please about Virginia.
- 50 states Virginia facts.
- Info from Enchanted Learning
- Lots of cool charts and info.
Here are some recipe links:
One of the foods that Virginia is known for is Ham. We were sure to have Ham during Virginia week. They grow corn, peanuts, wheat and potatoes and we ate all of those as well.
- George Washington (Check out Mount Vernon)
- Thomas Jefferson (Check out Monticello ~ there is neat activities for kids on this site too!)
- James Madison (Check out Montpelier)
- James Monroe
- William Henry Harrison
- John Tyler
- James K. Polk
- Thomas Woodrow Wilson
If any of you are from Virginia we would love to hear from you what you like about your state.
This week we are studying Rhode Island, are any of you from there?