So the purpose of hospitality is not showing off your house - even though lately I have seemed to do plenty of that as we have had a lot of company and most all of them want to have a tour (which I don't mind at all) since they know that we have been building our home. But even in the midst of giving house tours (which is NOT the purpose of company) I can still work on the real purpose of hospitality and truly all of life.
That purpose is to Glorify God.
So how can we glorify God in hospitality?
FIRST: I have found it really helps to pray and ask Him for His help and His leading and direction as you have people over to your home. This is something I need to do more often. When I do remember to turn things over to Him it just gives me such a peace.
- We can invite over a young mother and her children and encourage her through godly conversation.
- We can find ways to share God's word with our guests. Possibly inviting them specifically for a Bible study or possibly just looking for opportunities in the conversation to share how God has been speaking to you lately.
- We can have a family over that has been feeling cooped up over the course of the winter and the kids would really like some interaction with others. This can be an opportunity for your children to be God's hands and feet as well.
- We can pray with or for our guests. Right then or say you will (and remember to do it) when they mention a need.
- We can develop friendships with others who are not Christians through hospitality which may cause them to be open to the gospel someday.
- We can invite over groups of Christians to encourage the strengthening and unity of the Body of Christ.
- We can invite over Christians and those that are not at the same time to allow more connections to form for allowing more opportunities for the gospel to be spread.
- We can get-together for a time of music in which we worship our Creator.
- We can practice hospitality and when together do some act of service (maybe making quilts to donate) that can then bless others.
- What other ways can you think off?
Many times when we have people over we have no idea just how God will use that specific time of hospitality. Perhaps a connection will be formed, perhaps God led us to have a specific person over because He knew that they needed encouragement to stay faithful in their walk with Him or maybe we were the ones that needed the encouragement.
All I know is that God wants us to be hospitable. When we give our lives to Him and allow Him to use them the way that is best - then God will be glorified.
May God bless you as you show hospitality to others!