I really enjoy reading how others save money. I find it inspiring and sometimes it gives me new ideas to help us save money as well. I find it very rewarding to be able to save money in some areas so that we can use it in a better way. Here is a random compilation of some of the ways we have saved money lately......
- I cut all the guys hair.
- My sister cut my hair for me.
- I offered to review some books and therefore got new books for free.
- I mended socks.
- I cleaned up wood scraps and such from our yard and burnt it in our fireplace to heat our house.
A recent cleaning up or our yard. All of it burnt nicely in our fireplace.
- I made my own cream of mushroom soup.
- I did a lot of looking to find a special birthday present and ended up with a wonderful deal.
- I let my "fingers do the walking" as I called around to look for the typewriter and so saved money on gas as well.
Megan enjoying her new typewriter.
- I used a warranty insurance to get my money back on a camera that broke.
- We have stayed home quite a bit which helps to save on gas.
- We packed a meal to eat while traveling.
- We brought water bottles on our trip and also to town when running errands. This makes purchasing drinks unnecessary.
- We purchased cheese in 40 lb chunks from Bletsoe Cheese for a price much less than the store price per pound.
- We have been putting siding on the house and working on other house projects. We could have hired it done instead but doing it ourselves is saving us a whole lot of money. It is a lot of work but it is fun and rewarding too.
- We gratefully accepted hand-me-downs that were offered to us.
- I used some coupons that my Mom gave to me and got a free towel at JC Penneys and also $10 off some needed items.
- We took extra building supplies back to the store and got our money back.
- Jonathan and I made a instrument rack for our music nook for $1.50.
- I boiled turkey bones after cooking (with a splash of vinegar to get extra nutrients out) it so that we didn't waste anything. Now we have lots of broth as well as the meat we already ate.
How have you saved money recently? I would love to hear about some frugal thing you have done lately!