Sweets of any kind are best eaten in moderation but refined sugar doesn't really have much redeeming value at all. It is hard on our teeth, hard on our pancreas and pituitary gland, pulls minerals from the body during digestion, is addictive, stresses the liver and doesn't fill you up but just makes you want to eat more.
So my goal is to cut back pretty heavily (though it won't be completely) on refined sugars in our house and then truly work to have common sense with how much of an other sorts of sweets we eat too.
There were several things that caused this to become an issue lately....
- Jonathan as a growing teen loves to eat (pretty normal), that means he would like snacks on a regular basis. When I don't come up with a good snack solution (and he isn't fond of popcorn) then he quickly offers to make cookies. I like cookies too (but don't get so excited about making them) and so he has done a fair amount of baking lately. He does not cut down on the sugar as much or substitute natural sweeteners as often as I would do. My solution: Work at coming up with more healthy snacks so he doesn't feel the need for baking. Also write up a cookie cookbook for the kids with properly adjusted recipes.
- Ken had extra candy from a business booth lately (he gives it out) and the boys came home with a bag of it. It was Snickers and Twix (so chocolate!) and we have enjoyed it but it isn't so good for us. Solution: Dole it out a little more slowly and then it will be gone so that is good.
- We have been having more company lately. With company we often feel the need for dessert so either we make some or they offer to bring some. Solution: Don't feel like we need dessert every time. Show some self discipline and don't feel like I need to eat it just because it is there. Make a healthier dessert.
Does anybody have any good suggestions for non-sugary and good for you snacks?
Here is a list of some of my ideas but I would really love to hear yours as well!
- Popcorn (easy and cheap)
- Cheese slices
- Apples and peanut butter
- Other fruit -this week we did enjoy some blueberries we had frozen this summer as a snack.
- Carrot sticks.
- Chips and Salsa (I am happy to have found some organic corn chips on clearance this week so we will look forward to this snack)
- Crackers and humus or liver pate. I really to get busy and make crackers again. Hummus too. The liver pate I have never actually tried but I have heard good things about it and that it is actually a yummy spread for crackers.
What are your thoughts on Sugar?