Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The beauty of breastfeeding


I am in the process of weaning my last child. It is a little bittersweet. Weaning was going fairly well until I developed mastitis. I ended up going to the doctor today for an antibiotic. Anyway I have been thinking about breastfeeding and the neat things about it. I did a little research to and I thought I would share with you some of the benefits of breastfeeding.
  • It is better for the babies health. Breast milk has just the right mix for the baby's development. It has antibodies in it to help protect infants from bacteria and viruses and it helps them to fight of infection. Babies that are breastfed tend to be leaner throughout their lifetime. Babies that are breastfed tend to visit the Doctor less. They have less cases of SIDS, diabetes, high cholesterol and asthma.
  • Breast feeding is great for losing weight! Breastfeeding (without supplementing) can burn 600 calories everyday which is like 2 hours of aerobic exercise. I have loved not having to be concerned about weight at all for several years. I weigh less now than I did when I was in college.
  • Breasting feeding is a great time for relaxing. I have enjoyed having time to do a lot of reading.
  • No menstrual period for quite a while! Very nice!
  • Nursing helps to lower your risk for ovarian and breast cancer.
  • Breastfeeding is very cost efficient! I can't imagine how much money I have saved by breastfeeding 4 kids.
  • Breastfeeding saves time. No having to mix up bottles, breast milk is ready all the time. I don't have to wash bottles either, or spend time buying formula.
  • There is less trash with breastfeeding as we don't have formula cans or bags or anything like that to throw away.
  • More sleep! When my babies wake up in the night I don't have to get up and make a bottle up and sit up holding the bottle in place, I just pull my baby in bed by me and feed her.

What do you like about breastfeeding?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin