Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Zillions of Zucchini!

Zucchini time has come! We don't actually have "zillions" but we are getting a good crop, I am excited about getting it because we have a bunch of ways in which we love to eat it. One trick on not getting overloader with zucchini is to pick them before they reach the caveman club size. The kids might think they are pretty cool at that size but they don't taste as good. Some ways I like zucchini (or other summer squash) are:
  • In stirfrys. I like to have a little meat (cut up chicken or pork or hamburger) which I fry in a little oil. I then add chopped garlic and onions. Then you can add sliced up zucchini (young) and patty pan squash and any other vegies that suit your fancy. Season with a little soy sauce. This is good over rice.
  • Fried zucchini. Slice a young zucchini in thin circles, dip in beaten eggs, coat with cornmeal (or flour or both) and seasoning salt and then fry in a little oil. Yummy!
  • Chocolate zucchini cake. This came from my Grandma and is a favorite with my kids.
    -1 cup oil (I actually used 3/4 c applesauce and 1/4 cup of oil)
    -1 1/2 cup sugar
    -2 eggs
    -1 teaspoon vanilla
    - 1/2 cup milk
    -4 tablespoons cocoa
    -2 1/2 cups flour (I use mostly whole wheat)
    -1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    -1 teaspoon salt
    -1 teaspoon soda
    Cream the oil, sugar and eggs. Then mix in the vanilla, milk and cocoa. Then add the flour, soda, baking powder and salt and mix well. Then stir in zucchini. Spread in a 9 x 13 greased pan or 2 loaf pans. Sprinkle with one or all of brown sugar, chocolate chips, coconut and chopped nuts. Bake around 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • Zucchini Bread
  • Chopped up small and put in meatloaf, fried hamburger and things like that.

I hope you all have some zucchini to use and that you enjoy it like I do. I would love to hear how you use zucchini.

2 comments:

Jill Urbane, The Mentor Mom said...

Wow, the recipe for the cake looks fantastic! I'm going to have to give that one a try. Thanks for sharing it, Abbi! And thanks too for swinging by my blog :)

Sadie said...

Oh! I love the idea of chocolate zucchini cake! And my husband would love the fried zucchini. Thanks for the great ideas!

P.S. always nice to meet another "Anne" fan!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin