Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rag Rugs

I was visiting a blog(Green Baby Guide) that I had never been at before and noticed that they were hosting "Thrifty Green Thursday". I enjoy being Thrifty and have green leanings as well so I thought it would be fun to join in.
A project that I completed lately that is both thrifty and green is this rag rug. I really like rag rugs, 1st of all they are useful, 2nd they make a place look homey (in my opinion) , 3rd they are fun to make and 4th they don't cost anything.
The rag rug above I made using strips of jean in various shades and then red fabric strips from an old jacket and a t-shirt around the edge. You can use various types of fabric (old clothes, old curtains, old sheets even old ties) I have used t-shirts but they are a little trickier as they are so stretchy.
Here are instructions for a round crocheted rag rug.
And finally after a bunch of looking I found a demonstration of what I think is the easiest way to join strips. (It also looks nicer than most others in your rug.)
If you have any questions feel free to ask. Rug making is fun and a great way to use up otherwise unusable garments!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Great idea--I've got a bunch of t-shirts that I can't resell b/c they have stains on them. Thanks!

Rebecca said...

Wow--I am impressed. This is the ultimiate in thrifty green! Like Cathy, I have so many rags that can't be resold as clothing. I also don't need THAT many for cleaning around the house. I could turn them all into a rug! I have a question: is it possible to make really small ones to use as potholders or something? That way I could practice a bit before making a big rug.

Thanks for joining Thrifty Green Thursday!

Emily said...

Wow, that looks great. My sister-in-law made some super cute ones this way for her daughter's room. I want to try it! Maybe she could help me with the crocheting part... thanks for the reminder! :) Great tip!

Abbi said...

Thanks to you all for stopping by. Rebecca, you definetely could make pot holders to try it out and get the hang of it. I hope you all have lots of fun. Once you get the hang of it, it is not hard.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are actually skilled enough to make rag rugs. They've become pretty popular lately--even showing up in mainstream stores for a pretty penny. How nice to know that we can make them at home. We're so glad you joined Thrifty Green Thursday this week!

Angie said...

Thanks 4 the reminder! I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now I will have the instructions in writting!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin