Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Handmade Christmas Week 8 {Easy Skirts and a Shirt}


 How are you doing this morning! I am doing good. After a couple of days of not feeling so hot I feel so much better and that is always a great feeling. I am a little late getting this up (and I will come back even later to add the tutorial to this post) but I will blame that on not feeling good, playing games with my family last night and working on centerpieces for Thanksgiving instead. Someday I will be better organized and pre-post all my posts but so far that hasn't happened very often.

Anyway, here is something that I have been making:
 Elastic Waist Skirts and a reversible applique t-shirt. The outfit that Megan is modeling we sent in her Operation Christmas Child box and the skirt below is a gift for a friend. Mara also made a skirt like this for her OCC box but we failed to get a picture of it.
These skirts are so quick and easy to make and you can use whatever fabric you have on hand or can find for a good deal and they are a fun and practical gift.

Here is the Tutorial. I hope it works well for me to do it this way. Let me know if you have any problems reading it or understanding it. Thanks!

To make the skirt you will need to first choose fabric (you can make it all one color or have a couple types of fabric- I did it both way.)

To cut it out: I am going to give quidelines for you to follow so you can make it fit any size person and have it the fullness and length that you desire.

For the top layer: Measure the recipent of the skirt's hips. You need a strip of fabric (this can be one long piece or you can sew a few pieces together to make the strip long enough) that is the length of the hips plus at least 5 inches or up to doubling the hip measurement. Example Hips: 36 inches plus 5 inches = 41 inches. OR 36"=36"= 72" or anything in between. This strip of fabric should be as long (wide?) as the length you want your top layer plus 2 inches for making the elastic casing and seam allowance. 16 inches or around there would probably work well.

For the bottom layer: This strip should be about 1.5 or 2 times as long as the top strip to allow for good gathering. It could be a little less if you don't want it that full. You can work with what you have for fabric. The length of it again depends on how long you want the skirt to be. Have an inch of so extra for the seam and the hem.

Click on the pictures in order to see them larger.


Here is how I decorated the raglan sleeve t-shirt that I made:

I had fun making these tutorials using My Memories Suite which I am hosting a giveaway of right now. Feel free to go sign up!

Now, PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS!


If you have a blog I would love it if you would share the link of your post, And for everybody I would love it if you would leave ideas in the comments.


TO LINK UP:
I can't wait to see what you make!

-Please link up a handmade idea that would work for a Christmas gift, decoration or for eating.

I have decided not to use the linky tool but rather if you would include your link in a comment or send it to me in an e-mail, I will then put the link to your blog post in this post. Thank you!
-Please make sure it is family friendly.
- Please link back to this blog. I would love it if you also would display my graphic either in your post or on your sidebar so that others can learn about and join this carnival too.
Check this out....

If you missed my earlier Handmade Christmas weeks here they are:

5 comments:

Becky R said...

So cool. I never thought to put clothes in the OCC boxes. We made and sent 106 at our church. We included socks in each box, plus school supplies, toys, hygiene items, gum, and cross lollipops. I like the t-shirt or outfit idea you guys did.

Melissa said...

Abbi - cute skirts. I always wondered if we were allowed to put homemade things in the OCC boxes so we've always bought everything.

I used to have a blog party and I found this little tutorial for making a blog button with a text box for the code: http://a-heart4home.blogspot.com/2009/04/blog-button-with-text-box-for-code.html

I would love to share my batik coasters on your party: http://thosenorthernskies.blogspot.com/2011/11/coasters-mug-rugs-drink-mats.html

Time to read and take naps.

Anonymous said...

As I am currently teaching myself to sew, I am always interested in reading how to make various items. Learning to make my own skirt with an elastic waist will be my next challenge. I'll have to try this one after I learn a few techniques (e.g., making the casing and hemming).

At any rate, thank you for visiting my blog the other day and leaving a comment (do you even remember, ha, ha :). I like your blog. I've decided to "follow along" with you. Hope you visit me again soon!

~M. Wildflower

Jackie said...

Great tutorials! Such pretty things!

Camille said...

Oooh, I'm a newbie sewer. I just finished learning to make ties for the boys and I wanted a simple skirt for the girls. I can't wait to try this!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin