Thursday, February 23, 2012

I don't buy...... Hot Cocoa Mix

For a long time now we haven't bought hot cocoa mix. It is very easy to make, cheaper and better for you. It actually has real dairy in it rather than who knows what! I am not sure what is in the store bought hot cocoa mix but it often gives me a headache when I drink it so I am glad we make our own instead.
Hot Chocolate Mix:
6 1/2 cups dry milk
3/4 cups instant dry creamer
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa

(sometimes I will use around 2 cups of chocolate drink mix instead of the sugar and cocoa)
Mix everything together and store in a dry, sealed container. To use it put around 1/3 cup of the mix in a cup and then fill with hot (though not boiling) water and stir well.

 You can also put crushed up candy canes or peppermint hard candies in it if you like (and happen to have the leftover from Christmas!).

 Lately most of the hot chocolate that I have made I have sweetened with honey instead (as that is our main sweetener now)- It does have a little different flavor but it is still good. It does however prevent the making up of an easy mix as it is liquid instead of dry.

Do any of you make your own hot chocolate mix?

I would love to hear your suggestions.

I am linking this to Frugal Friday at Life as MOM.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I use the French Vanilla flavored creamer instead of plain, and it makes more of a vanilla-mocha drink.

Alison said...

I love this series. Just like you, I try to make everything at home, from scratch.

Yes, I make my own hot cocoa mix. You can make it up by the cup or in bulk.

For one cup:
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cup warm milk
Whisk all ingredients together and enjoy!

Becky R said...

I have never made my own, but the one I buy is all organic, fair trade, with a few ingredients that I cleary know what they are, so I am happy with that. I rarely drink it and my kids have maybe once a month, so I don't mind buying a mix. One container lasts me all year.
My son did make one from scratch once and it was good, but the ingredients he used had milk, so making in advance was not an option.
I love these posts from you about what you never buy.

Caroline said...

Ooh, I will have to try this when my store bought mix runs out. Thank you!

Bartending Certification said...

Hey there Abbi, really good mix. Although I'd like to call it Cocoa Mix rather chocolate mix. Well either way it's gonna be awesome for the cold seasons sipping hot cocoa on your couch.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin