Wednesday, February 29, 2012

In memory of my Grandma Cleone

Grandma and her grandchildren quite some years ago. I am the one leaning on the chair in the back.
 This morning I am in Iowa attending the funeral of my Grandma Cleone who is my Dad's Mom. (Pre-posting can come in handy!)

  My Grandma was in the nursing home for a couple of years now and was very much ready to go home to heaven. She had a very close relationship with our God and I am looking forward to seeing her again someday. Grandma was truly ready to go and so I was very happy for her that she was able to make that journey but I wasn't quite ready for how much it would hit home to me that I would really really miss her. Over the last couple of years it has been kind of like we have slowly saying goodbye as it become harder to have good conversations and phone conversations were quite challenging and so I thought this parting might not be that hard but it still was. She has been a very important part of my life and she will be very missed!

  I had fun looking through my photo albums and finding a few pictures to share on here. I don't have much time to write memories now but I might later as my Grandma was a pretty fun and inspiring lady!
 The picture above is one of Grandma, Dad, Mara and I. We were blessed to live near Grandma when we were first married and Mara was born. She did things like freeze a bunch of meals for me to use and just encouraged and helped out however she could.
 Here is Grandma and her oldest Great-grandchildren outside of Pizza Ranch a place she liked to take us. My Grandma was great with Kids and I can still hear the sound of her reading stories aloud in my head. She had a very good story reading voice!
 Ken, Mara, Jonathan and I with Grandma on her 80th birthday.
  This is my Grandma,  a long time before I was born! She was a school teacher for many years and really enjoyed doing that. She was a great encouragement to my parents when they decided to homeschool and then again to we grandchildren when we decided to homeschool.
 Grandma in her room at the nursing home.
Grandma and some of her great-grandchildren.

  I feel very blessed to have a Grandma like my Grandma! I will look forward to seeing her again someday!

Here are some other posts about my Grandma:
A visit at her home and memories of time with Grandma
Visiting Grandma in the nursing home
Learning about Iowa and one of my favorite things there- Grandma.

7 comments:

Alison said...

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your grandma. It sounds like she has passed on a wonderful legacy to her family. And, praise God that her eternity will be spent with Him!

Melissa said...

It is good to know she was ready. I remember the sense of his being ready to go to God and to Grandma too.

I also understand the missing - it decreases as the years pass but still can startle one with its freshness at unexpected times.

Becky R said...

Sorry for your loss. So glad you will see her again someday.

Jackie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandma sounds like a wonderful woman. It is great that you have so many fond memories of her and that you know you will see her again someday. Take care.

Maria said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Keep your memories close and she will always be with you.

Billie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandma. What an inspiring lady she was in your family and to know she is with her Father in Heaven helps a lot.

Julie said...

My condolences.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin