Friday, March 30, 2012

I don't buy.... Frozen Pizzas


Store bought frozen pizza used to be something that I would keep in our freezer pretty regularly. Our family all liked it and it certainly was a quick and easy meal when time got tight. However as I have worked on making our meals both more economical and healthier - frozen pizzas were something that needed to go. (Though I have a quick confession- we actually bought and ate frozen pizzas just this week- but the circumstances were special and I will try to blog about that later.) As a general rule I have not purchased frozen pizzas for a few years now.

 We do still like pizza however and I still like the convenience of having one in the freezer. We still can do that- it is just homemade instead of store bought.

 What I do is whenever I make pizza I simply make two (and it wouldn't hurt if I would start making even bigger batches!) and I freeze one. Here is my recipe and how I do it:

Pizza~.
I like this crust recipe:

~6 cups flour ( I make around 1/2 of the flour whole wheat.)
~2 teaspoons salt
~ 3 teaspoons sugar
~2 Tablespoons yeast
~1/4 cup oil
~2 cups hot water
~1 egg

Mix dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients and mix well. Let sit 8-10 minutes. Spread out on a greased cookie sheets. This recipe makes two 10 X 15 inch crusts.

For eating right away: Put on toppings (I like to use spaghetti sauce, browned hamburger, sausage or ham, sliced olives, mushrooms and cheese) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

For freezing: Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool and then put on toppings (usually the crust cools while we are eating the other pizza for supper), cover with aluminum foil or I have a big old plastic rice bag that I use and I also put it in a plastic grocery bag and put in the freezer. To get ready for eating I stick it from the freezer into the oven while it is preheating to 350 degrees and cook it until the cheese is all melted.

This method works great and helps a lot with saving money too!

I am linking this to Frugal Friday at Money Saving MOM.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

I do this, too! It's so great to have an "instant" homemade meal waiting!

Ruth @ cheerfulagrarian.blogspot.com

Nola said...

I just did this the first time as one of my postpartum freezer meals. We all loved it and it froze well. Wish I still had some more in the freezer! I had my baby a few weeks ago (now I have 3 girls!)

Elise said...

I do this as well! I love having meals in the freezer just waiting to be heated up!

Donna said...

Great tip- I need to do more freezing them! Friday night has become Pizza Night at my house and with my crew, I usually make about 4 pizzas and we have leftovers for lunch on Saturday :-)
Blessings!

Alison said...

We eat lots of pizza here too. But, I have never thought to freeze one. I make my crust using the Master Recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Love it!

Abbi said...

It was fun to hear that freezing pizzas is something that works well for you all too!

Donna and Allison- I hope you will like the convenience of freezing them as well!

Nola, I have been thinking you would be having your baby sometime around now. Congratulations on another girl! I hope you are having many sweet moments!

Marishannon said...

I freeze pizzas too! It is really convenient to be able to just slide a pizza in the oven and just a little while later have a homemade, healthy pizza!

Eric said...

I like your style but frozen pizzas really have become a pretty good deal. Brands like Kashi have really made an impact in our home.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin