Wednesday, November 19, 2008

WFMW ~ Applesauce Roll-ups

I hate to waste food! This fall I made some applesauce using regular apples and crab apples that ended up being a little too "crabby". Even with the edition of sugar it was still very tart! I didn't want it to end up being more sugar than applesauce so I decided I would have to figure out something to do with it besides eating it as sauce.
I decided to see how it would be if I made fruit roll ups out of it. So... we put it in the dehydrator and... It worked! It is still tart tasting but not to tart and the kids really like it (so do I).

No wasting of food, a cheap and healthy snack and happy kids... That works for me!


6 comments:

Martha said...

Cute picture of the kids.(except Megan's bibs is, well, at least your not letting anything go to waste!)
Real fruit rollups sound really good!

Rhonda said...

Great idea Abbi and innovative. Good for you.

Rhonda said...

Great idea Abbi and innovative. Good for you.

MediMonsters said...

Great idea!! Thanks

Anonymous said...

What a great idea - I never even knew it was possible to make fruit roll ups! I had a similar "tart" experience with neighbors' crabapples and making apple butter this summer. I think I need a hydrator!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Susan

Rhonda said...

Hi Abbi, Rhonda here again. This is to let you know that I have selected your blog as one of the coolest. The "Butterfly Award" is winging its way to you. All you have to do is pop over to my blog to copy & paste it logo to your sidebar. You might want to name a few blogs that you like as well. I think you are a sweet person who does great things. Take care.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin